Patient Scheduling and Patient Screening
- Schedule patient appointments to minimize possible contact with other patients in the waiting room.
- Screen all patients by phone before scheduling and when confirming the patient’s dental appointment.
- Notify patients that they may not bring a companion(s) to their appointment, unless the patient requires assistance (eg, pediatric patients, special needs patients, elderly patients, etc.).
Sample Prescreening Protocol
Patient Scheduling and Confirming Patient’s Dental Appointment
- Example: Advise patients to check their temperature at home.
- Example: Administer COVID-19 questionnaire.
1. Have you tested positive for COVID-19?
2. Have you been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting results?
3. Do you have any of the following respiratory symptoms? Fever, Sore Throat, Cough, Shortness of Breath?
4. Do you have a fever or felt feverish within the last 21-14 days?
5. Have you recently lost your sense of smell or taste?
6. Do you have any other flu-like symptoms, such as gastrointestinal upset, headache, or fatigue?
7. Even if you don’t currently have any of the above symptoms, have you experienced any of these symptoms in the last 14 days?
8. Have you been in close contact (6 ft) with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days?
9. Have you traveled outside the United States by air or cruise ship in the past 14 days?
10. Are you age 65 or older?
- Do you have medical issues like heart disease, diabetes, cancer, or a weakened immune system?
Sample Form: Patient Prescreening and In-Office Screening
Page 4: American Dental Association: Return to Work Interim Guidance Toolkit: Pre-Appointment Screening Process and Sample Patient Screening Form
Pages 6-7: The Governor’s Report to Open Texas
CDC: Symptoms of Coronavirus
CDC: Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Healthcare Settings. May 18, 2020.